How to extend a visa in Iran?
It is possible to extend your tourist visa duration up to 90 days in Iran once you have already arrived here. You can request an extension despite the period of your current visa. It is also possible for people from countries that have Irans visa on arrival even to extend their time in Iran. Still, we suggest contacting us directly for updated information on this.
The process for an extension is quite easy and straightforward. It just can be time-consuming for a day or two.
Start the visa renewal process soon!
If you are planning to renew your visa, it is best to start at the remaining 1-3 days before the visa expires. You can submit your Iran visa extension request at foreign police offices in major Iranian cities such as Tehran, Isfahan, Shiraz, Yazd, Mashhad, Tabriz, and most other major cities. These offices are mostly busy, so its better to visit these offices in the morning (They working time starts at 8 AM) to speed up the visa renewal process. If needed, a guide can accompany you in the Iran visa renewal process and guide you in filling out forms and depositing visa.
What are the requirements for the extension?
- The original passport
- The cost of a visa renewal is 345,000 Iranian Rials. The offices dont accept cash! So we suggest either bringing an Iranian bank card or cash in little money, for example, 50,000 IRR notes so you can pay some easy if they use their card for you.
- Two 4×3 Passport photos
- Two printed copies of the current Iran visa
- Two printed copies of your main passport page
- A printed copy of the entry stamps if you have one.
- Two completed visa extension forms
The process is much the same in all cities when you go to the visa renewal office to extend your visa.
- When you arrive, you will have to go through security. Here the officer will take any bags, books, phones, cameras, and any other electrical device. If you are uncomfortable with there, we suggest leaving all these where you stay.
- When you sign in to the building with the security, they will ask why you are there. When you tell the officer what you are there for, he will give you directions for the first place you need to go.
- This step is where some cities will be different. For example, in Tehran/Isfahan, you need to do most things yourself. You will have to go to talk to the Police chief who will give you a document then send you to another office in the building, and this can repeat several times. You may need to have an interview for your reason for an extension. In cities such as Yazd, you will go inside the office with the police officer and give them your documents, and they will do the rest. You will need to sign some papers and relax.
- Most of the time, if you arrive early in the morning to the office when they open, you will get your visa back on the same day. But this isnt always the case. Sometimes they will tell you that you will need to come back the next day to collect your visa extension. That is perfectly normal, but this is why we suggest bringing a third passport photo so they can give you a receipt and stamp it with your photo to make the collection of your passport and visa extension easier.
- You will get 30 days with your extension most of the time, but this can be done a second time again for another 30 days, so in total, you will get to stay in Iran for 90 days.
- We have heard stories of some people getting lucky and getting 60 days on their first extension, but dont count on this as it currently seems pretty rare.
- We do strongly suggest to request the second extension in a different city to them first, so they dont ask why they havent left the city in the past 30 days.
Frequently Asked Questions about Iran Visa Extension
Do you have an Iranian tourist visa?
If you have come to Iran for tourism or business and have a 30-day Iranian visa, you can extend it for another 30 days. However, if you have a 15-day airport visa in Iran, your visa may be extended for another 15 days.
Do you have an Iranian business visa?
If you have come to Iran to do business or administrative work and intends to extend it, you must go to the Foreigners Police in person, along with the necessary documents. For foreign nationals, Irans business visa is extendable with the cooperation of the Foreign Citizens Police and the Ministry of Labor and Social Welfare (Department of Foreign Citizens). An Iranian host must make an application for a visa extension for an applicant.
Can a multi-voyage visa be extended?
With the diagnosis and order of the Foreigners Police Department, a multi-visa may extend.
What is the fine for delaying a visa extension?
There is a fine of 450,000 rials per day for people whose visa is expired.
Due to many people using different map apps such as apple maps, google maps, maps.me and more we will give the locations in GPS code format. Copy and pasting these into your app should work.
These locations can change. If you know of a change please contact us or if you know another city we havent added please contact us too.
Location for the extension is at: 27.190202, 56.326084.
Location for the extension is at: This is the location 25.291564,60.630579
Location for the extension is at: N 36.84145 E 054.44446/36°5029.1?N 54°2639.9?E.
Location for the extension is at: 34.792712, 48.509632
Location for the extension is at: 32.6300, 51.6327
Location for the extension is at: 33.980195 51.462377.
(They sometimes will make you collect your documents in Tehran)
Location for the extension is at: 30° 17.383N 57° 4.388E
Location for the extension is at: 34°1932.8?N 47°0448.8E.
Location for the extension is at: 36.28192, 59.55088
Location for the extension is at: 26.9621653, 56.2607801
Location for the extension is at: N 36.55531 E 053.03728
Location for the extension is at: 29.60554°N 52.56170°E
2 different offices extend visas in Tehran: one deals with embassy visas, the other with visas on arrival.
Central Police Department of Immigration and Passports Embassy visas
Migration Police Department Visa on arrival
Location for the extension is at: 31.8544768, 54.3533641
Location for the extension is at: 29°2906.9?N 60°5242.9?E
Hey Ralf, we are so glad that you found this article helpful. If there is anything that we can assist you with, you can always contact us through [email protected]
Thanks for your perfect instructions on extending the Visa. Well prepared. Easy to read.
Thanks a lot.